Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

As a vampire writer, I have to post on Halloween, one of my favorite days of the year. Anything can happen on Halloween. It's a time that inspires me to write. The most recent mystery of a 'good friend of mine' (wink, wink), The Not-So-High Seas, is even set during the week before Halloween, 1926. (Yes, I...er, she started writing it in the fall.)

In New Orleans, my hometown, Halloween was a major event. Always fun. Above-ground cemeteries became spookier, and voodoo and witches' supply stores did a booming business. Everyone partied. (Not a big surprise, I suppose.) We trick-or-treated until we couldn't carry our candy haul anymore.

A dozen years ago, I spent some time just before Halloween in Boston and Salem. People were carving jack-o-lanterns and decorating their houses. The air was crisp and maple leaves were blood-red. What a wonderful time to be there! (Didn't hurt that it was still lobster season, but that's another story.) I highly recommend Halloween in Salem.

And then, there's always Santa Fe. Maybe it's the fact that it's an older city and has narrow, dark streets near the plaza, but something about it says 'ghosts.' And Halloween is the lead-in to el Dia de los Muertos (the Day of the Dead) when the dead are honored. It's the day we most easily communicate with loved ones who are no longer with us. I enjoyed writing about vampires in Santa Fe in Addicted.

Where do you like to celebrate Halloween? I want to plan the next few, so I need some good hints.

I'm off to write. One shouldn't keep impatient vampires waiting.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, where do I like to spend Halloween? I spent one almost-Halloween on the Queen Mary, which is now a hotel in Long Beach. It's very haunted and quite an experience! I'd love to go back for their big Halloween Bash some day.

    Oh, didn't realize ADDICTED takes place in Santa Fe. It just got bumped up on my To Be Acquired list. With all the legends, mythology and ghosts stalking the streets of that old town, what a great setting for a vampire story.

    Love the pic of the cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun, Laurie! Haunted is perfect for Halloween. I should have taken my trip to The Lodge in Cloudcroft over Halloween instead of at the beginning of the month.

    I hope you enjoy ADDICTED!

    ReplyDelete